Saturday 16 March 2013

Inspiring My Work


I would like to take this research forward by relating it to present day London. I have always been drawn to the outsiders and eccentrics so would like to capture this almost hedonistic idea of nonconformity and self-expression in my garments. Demonstrated so well in Sapeur, Punk and New Romantic clothing, I intend to interview Londoner’s about their personal means of rebellion and escape in order to reinterpret these aims for a modern audience. 

Colour, print and character are three things that often inspire me in fashion, which I hope to include through referencing the traditional dress of London’s immigrant population. To discover both the history and the current expression of these different cultures I will travel to specific locations around the capital, for example:


Bangladeshi immigrants in Brick Lane

Brick Lane - Bangladesh
China Town - China
Middlesex Street market - Africa

In order to mix these foreign influences with British fashion I plan to look into the history of British tailoring by visiting Saville Row. Pattern cutting is a particular strength in my work so I hope to learn some traditional techniques to use when designing my final garments. In order to keep my designs contemporary and relevant I will also combine elements of London street style to create what I hope will be a collection that truly represents the Capital and the influences, attitudes and cultures that have come to define it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment